Tuesday, December 18, 2007

John 3:16

My great-grandma was an amazing woman of God. She thought it very pertinent that I learn John 3:16 as soon as possible in my life. So by the tender age of 4, I had John 3:16 forever emblazoned in my mind and on my heart. After learning John 3:16, she presented me with a small box. Before I opened it, she explained very simply that the gift in that little box was nothing like the reward we have awaiting us in Heaven...that the gift of God's Son is the greatest of all gifts and that nothing on this earth could compare to what God did for us through Jesus. She also told me how proud she was that I took seriously the learning of this verse. And then I was finally allowed to open the box. Inside was a shiny, Susan B. Anthony silver dollar--something pretty cool to a four-year-old! Mind you, this all took place 25 years ago and I remember every detail. And I knew, especially as I got older, that I wanted to share that heritage with my children some day.

Well today was that day, sort of. Brayden and I recite the verse each night before bed--after he and his dad attempt to count to 20 together (Brayden gets a little screwed up after eleven, but we have fun with it anyways!). We've spent the past few months talking about what all of the words mean and what the verse as a whole is telling us. And while the day before Thanksgiving was the first time he said it without any assistance from me, tonight was the first time his dad had the opportunity to share in this humbling moment and the first time that we truly celebrated this accomplishment...and I can't explain the joy that is still bubbling in my soul at the sound of his little voice reciting John 3:16.

I guess the significance of it all really hit me and Daryl as we left Brayden's room. I had all of these different thoughts and emotions running through my brain. Then suddenly Daryl turnes to me and says, "That's pretty awesome that our little boy knows John 3:16 even before he can count to 20!"

Gram Chak would be glowing brighter than I am right now. Our little boy has received the greatest gift this Christmas...the beginning of Truth in his heart that "God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life"!

No comments: