Thursday, October 18, 2007

The Red Race Car Saga





Our saga began back in the summer when Brayden went with Daryl and Eric to Miller's Turf and Trail to look into the cost of a zero-turn mower. Yes, the bigger the boy the bigger the toy. While there, Brayden saw (maybe rode in?) a blue kid-sized go kart. Brayden was ecstatic when they arrived home and wanted to know if I had the money for his race car in my pocket (some explanation his Daddy gave him--hahaha good one, Honey). Anyways, every time we'd see an ad for Miller's or drive by on our way to the cabin Brayden would say, "There's my race car that we're going to buy."


Now fast forward to a few weeks ago. Brayden was playing in our backyard with his cars, trucks, etc., one of which is a little four-wheeler. Well, this little four-wheeler had gotten stomped on/run over and the wheels were broken...along with Brayden's heart. So at this particular moment of Brayden's life being flipped upside down my mom phoned. Now I must preface this by also saying that every time Granny walks through our door there is sure to be gifts and/or treats of some sort. And there have been so many packages sent in the mail, that our kids now scream, "Granny!" every time the postman delivers a box, oversized envelope, etc. whether or not its for them! You must understand that in my kids eyes Granny always has the goods. And not only does Granny deliver the goods, there is no limit to what the woman will do at playtime. Crawling into a kid-sized tent, wearing crazy get-up to play the part, making up games that only toddlers (and people with our odd sense of humor) find fun. In simple terms, Granny rocks. Big time.


All that being said, back to the saga. Brayden promptly gets on the phone and informs Granny that, and I quote, "my car broke, Granny. Would you please go out and buy me a new one at the store and wrap it up like a present and send it to me?" Did I mention that I love four-year-olds? Well somehow in the course of the conversation it got altered in Brayden's head that Granny & Pap were going to buy him The Race Car aka the kid-sized go kart at Miller's...and now it was red instead of blue. Before the phone was even back on the wall, Brayden was at the window wondering when Granny and Pap were going to pull in with his race car.


The best part of this story was the fact that Brayden then phoned nearly every day to inquire about his race car. One afternoon he phoned and asked Granny if she had talked to Pap about hitching the trailer to his truck to bring his race car out. Mind you, Pap doesn't even own a truck let alone a hauling trailer! And once when Brayden asked about his race car and Granny replied, "I'm working on it" as in "I'm seeing about buying one", Brayden took that to mean she was working on it literally. Like in the garage. With tools. And he exclaimed, "Well, is it big and red, Granny?!"


Needless to say, a red race car arrived at our home Friday, October 12th. Brayden was in shock for a brief period of time and our lives have not been the same since. I've never watched Nascar in my life, but there is no way that it can be more interesting or entertaining than watching my boy tear around our yard and beyond...usually with his sister sitting on the back waving like a Homecoming Queen! I LOVE IT! So enjoy some shots of him and them and, of course, the red race car.


3 comments:

shelli (michelle) said...

Top photo:
Savannah: Are you sure you know how to drive this thing?
Brayden: Savannah, have you not heard Mom tell the story about Uncle Jeff, at least 100 times now. He is amazing even driving backwards.
Savannah: Brayden, do you honestly believe that. Who even seen him doing that and where? I have done the physics in my head several times, and I think it's crock!
Brayden: Oh, Savannah, Savannah, why must you always argue?

shelli (michelle) said...

Brayden: If he can handle that, I surely can handle this. It's in my blood!

Mandy said...

tHAHAHAHAHA!!! Love the posts, Shell! We need some more narration on this site!