Thursday, September 18, 2008

Sept. 1st: Grampa Whitney's 90th Birthday!


We spent Labor Day in New York with Grampa and family celebrating his 90th birthday. It was a beautiful day and we had an AMAZING view from Andy & Beth's yard--the mountains of Vermont! Sixty-five mile visibility from the comfort of our lawn chairs. It was breathtaking.

When I think of all the change the he has witnessed in his 90 years it is mind-boggling. I sometimes get caught up in all the changes of my short lifespan. But they pale in comparison to Grampa's! One thing that remains unchanged, however, is his unwaivering faith. He's forever challenging us to deepen our walk with the Lord, be on our knees in prayer, and read His Word. He is a man of such strong conviction and it comes from his close walk with Jesus. Even through difficult times and choices, Grampa remained true to his convictions and by doing so garnered such deep respect and admiration of his family. He's also full of fun and jokes. Some of the best times I've had are playing Dominos any time Grampa is around. The best part of it is I couldn't care less if I win, just as long as I beat Grampa. He knows it and I I think I can safely say he reciprocates the same feeling...it has become a running joke between us :) I truly am in awe of him, of his love for the Lord, of the wonderful living example he is to me. I am thankful that I've had the opportunity to know him, to love him. It was a great time of fellowship, fun, and food. Grampa is an amazing man of God and I'm thankful that our kids have such a rich heritage and so many examples of godliness around them. Something that I do not take for granted!




Grampa with all the great grandkids--he sure has his hands full!

Grampa with his grandkids, their spouses, and all the great-grandkids! Yes, it was quite a feat to get these pictures!! I think this was picture #6 or so :)

Grampa and his grandkids and their spouses. And, as you can see, I think Grampa was tiring of all the picture taking!! We had him going all over the yard for different photos, but he was a great sport as usual :)

2 comments:

DEN said...

Wow! Look at all of the beautiful children! We're so glad to see everyone again! Hope to see you all at Thanksgiving.

Sarah said...

These pictures are beautiful! Its just amazing with one click of the mouse your on a visit with other family members! Imagine...if we could have done all of this when ours were growing up...it would be outdated but still so interesting!Ha! Love you...Aunt Sarah