Friday, August 8, 2008

Mahaffey Camp





The kids and I did a quick roadtrip over to Mahaffey on July 23rd for an overnight visit with Granny & Pap and to see what has changed on the campgrounds. We had a great time (except for Sophia starting to get sick!) and the kids were crying to stay as I loaded them up to head home. I attended Mahaffey my entire life for traditional Family Camp. Now they offer camps and programs nearly year-round. Its weird to see all the differences in my short lifespan--some positive, some rather disheartening--but I do pray that God continues to use the grounds for His glory. I had the opportunity to hear the morning speaker and he was GREAT. He is blessed with a tell-it-like-it-is approach and I know that I walked out of there with gracious conviction and some serious spiritual meat to chew on!

But I digress...

Brayden REALLY wanted to ride on a golf cart--they were everywhere!--and he got his wish when we stopped to visit my Great Aunt Kay's cottage. All of my second cousins were there and it was such a blessing to visit and talk with them. My cousin Joy has a golf cart that reminds me of something you may see on "Pimp My Ride" and she graciously took us on a drive around the camp. Brayden was in his glory!


Camp was a bit confusing for Brayden, however, as he is used to being there for Kids Camp when my mom is the Director (I'm the Camp Nurse, and my sister directs athletics or creek walking and we basically fill in at any other poistion that is needed) and with that comes a few "special" privileges. So he wasn't quite grasping why Granny couldn't go into the kitchen and ask the ladies for cookies or why we couldn't go into the Nurses' Cottage for popsicles! He also didn't understand at first why Aunt Shelli and Leighton were not there because that is the only way he knows camp (my sister comes with all her kids and we stay together)--it has become one of my and the kids' favorite weeks of the year! But he insisted that we stop at Aunt Shelli's house--which is actually the Nurses' Cottage where we stay during Kids Camp--and that's when he got it that they weren't there, poor kid! Thankfully, a picture on "Aunt Shelli's" porch sufficed for the time being.




But, as always, Granny and Pap were the hit of the trip...the kids LOVE being with them! They stomped in mud puddles, ran over the bridge together, jumped around in their room, and played games in the yard. We all enjoyed some signature Mahaffey Milkshakes and burgers, too :) That made the trip for me :)








3 comments:

jenny said...

Mandy! I am so excited you "de-lurked" and I was able to find your blog. I always enjoy getting to see you all when we come to Krys and Jeff's...now I can hopefully keep in touch a bit.

You sure schooled us on the D.C. trip...I can't believe you found a hotel for that rate so close to the White House!!

Granny said...

It was great to have you all at Mahaffey. The kids weren't the only ones that cried when you left.

Andrea said...

I'm glad the kids are getting to share some of the same places and experiences you did! They are soooo cute with their milkshakes!