Friday, May 9, 2008

YAY for our garden!






We managed to get our entire garden planted yesterday! I am SO EXCITED that I could yell for joy at the top of my lungs!!! I love gardening. Its my favorite "fast food".

You know me--a sucker for nostalgia...my dad planted a big garden when we were growing up. My older sister and I can still recall very vividly the many times we grabbed some string beans or other snacks while on-the-go in our yard. And oh the many yummy soups, watermelon, salads, etc. that came from that garden and our fruit trees in the yard!!

I have been dreaming of the day when we would have enough land to plant a real garden. I did manage to grow a few things in our miniscule yard when we lived in a development. And last year I planted my tomatos in 5 gallon paint buckets so we could take them with us when we moved!! Nothing could stop me! MUAHAHAHA!(insert crazy Count-like laughter from Sesame Street)

Even funnier is when I brought home the seed packets and precious tomato and pepper plants last Friday and showed them to Daryl. It was obvious by his facial expression that his mental image of My Garden differed from mine. (What, honey, you weren't picturing the 20 by 55 foot mini Garden of Eden?! :]) But, being the amazing man that he is, he rented a rototiller and plotted my garden out on paper (to scale, I might add)...then we got to work! We tilled,--yes, I tilled my fair share--then plotted, then planted. I did 98% of the planting, as Daryl had to get off to work. It was fabulous...but a bit time consuming. The kids had a blast helping. Brayden kept talking about how we were going to get so much food from all these seeds :] I CAN'T WAIT!

Now the last part is to put up our fence to keep the rabbits out. Daryl and I are hoping to do it on Saturday, but we'll see. Granny and Pap will be here so maybe they'll want to help!

Oh, and yes, I requested a canning set for my birthday in advance so I can stock us up for the years to come! YAY!!!!

3 comments:

Tara said...

Thanks for the congrats, Mandy. I have looked at your blog here and there (could see the links from my Sitemeter) but didn't know we were fellow alums! When did you graduate?

I'm glad you've been blessed by our story! :)

Your children are so cute! Maybe Charlie and Sophia will be classmates one day in about 17 years. :)

Sarah said...

the garden sounds fabulous. don't forget the deer might get in your garden too. by the way i got brayden and JAY camo crocs and Savannah and Becca pink/purple tie-dye

Erica said...

Can't wait to have some of your garden goods when I come up again. Hope you had a great Mother's Day! I love you