Thursday, May 29, 2008

Birthdays

It seems as though May is the Month of Birthdays in our (immediate and extended) family. Off the top of my head I can count 8...and I may be missing a few :]

Today is my G-ma's 79th birthday. What a blessing to still have my gram here on earth with me. She is and has always been such an amazing influence in my life. I spent more time with her as a child than I think with my own parents!! I LOVED being at G-ma's! I can still smell the laundry, which she just brought in from the line, being pressed--yummy smelling Lavendar Sachet. I can also hear her iron perculating. She would always let me help with chores, cooking, whatever, although I understand now that I must have been in the way an awful lot! She never let me know that though. My favorite thing was her laying me on the couch with an afghan knitted by my Great Gram while she played and practiced hymns for church on Sunday. I would fall asleep so soundly! Even as a college student I would burst through her doors exhausted from finals and plop onto the couch while she would play me all of my favorite hymns--what a wonderful way to unwind and relax! Yep, I would still fall asleep...15 years hadn't changed a thing! I still have that afghan too :] As I grew older, my love and admiration for her grew even deeper. She never went to college, but she has so much wisdom from Scripture. Her humbleness and servanthood are amazing to me. I finally understood why she constantly had a song on her lips--and I now make that a daily practice of mine. It alters your entire mindset and attitude when you make a conscious decision to praise the Lord continually, no matter the situations that arise around you. Needless to say, there isn't a day that passes in which she is not on my mind. I know that she's not perfect, but she's my gram. And she's one of the greatest blessings in my life!


But it is also a bittersweet day for her as it is also the day my Pap died 7 years ago. I was the only one with him when he left this earth and entered Heaven. What an experience. The years have definately made it better to deal with the emotions, but WOW do I miss him! He would have had such a blast with our kiddos--I can hear him really laughing at Brayden's stories, getting a kick out of fiesty Savannah Banana, and holding Sweet Sophia with tears in his eyes. He really became a softy in his older years :) I'm so thankful that I made a special trip from college with Daryl so that they could meet. I treasure the pictures I took that day of us and the two of them talking in the livingroom, Pap holding Daryl's hand the entire time. It would be the one and only time they would spend together. The next time Daryl returned was for his funeral less than 2 weeks later.

.

May is also the month of Aunt Peep (17th) & Aunt Jan's (20th) birthday. Two more women that are very special in my life. Its so amazing to see my own kids now loving to be with them and doing much of the same things with them that I loved to do when I was little! I could write a book about each of them, but I'll spare you the reading and me the tears. I just know that God has blessed me immensely with family. I've known that all my life and now get to share that with my little ones

We also had our nephew Landon's second birthday (18th) and Mama Yount & cousin, Stephanie (7th), and our B-I-L Scott's(26th)! If I'm missing anyone, let me know...the more the merrier, huh?

1 comment: