Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Belated Birthday!

It is no secret that our kids LOVE birthdays. L-O-V-E them!! Any time that I mention it is someone's birthday, they go crazy with wanting to sing, get the birthday person a cake & candles, wondering if we have a present to give, and, most importantly, if they themselves will have a chance to help blow out candles.

If you've ever had the privilege of celebrating a birthday with my family you would/could easily understand my kids excitement. We have birthday cake when we aren't celebrating anyone's birthday! "Every day is someone's birthday" my uncle will say. Then we sing to everyone in the room and each one has a turn to blow out the candles--no matter who's birthday it is. After all, what's a birthday without everyone in the room getting to blow out the candles?? I digress.

Today we're going to celebrate Pap's birthday with him. Yesterday the kiddos sang their hearts out over the phone, asked if there was cake & candles, wondered if we'd get to blow out candles, etc. They had Pap in stitches with laughter asking all of their crazy questions.

Then they had me seven kinds of crazy asking when were we going to Pap's, when were we going to blow out candles, when were we going to give him presents...you get the idea.

So today is the day...albeit one day late.

Today I celebrate the gifts of forgiveness, grace, and love that have so fully been felt and shared in our relationship. Today I celebrate the smiles and laughter that resonate around the house when we're together. Today I celebrate all the roadtrips, the sacrifices, the small and the big surprises that bring us so much joy. Today I celebrate family with all its quirks, "steps", and qulaities that make it uniquely ours.

Again I am reminded of the gift that Pap is to our lives.

Today I have so much to celebrate.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: