Wednesday, December 9, 2009

A shot (or three) in the leg



Ava Grace survived her first shots today thanks to her brother & sisters. Simply stating the three older ones were worried/upset about her having to get shots is a HUGE understatement.

When the time came, Brayden covered his eyes, Sophia gave her a pep talk and apologized profusely for what was about to happen, Savannah smothered her with kisses, and I helped hold her still. Midway through the awful shot process, Sophia started to cry with and for Ava, Brayden was nearly in tears asking if it was over yet and Savannah was doing her best to get to Ava and rescue her, and I was the awful one still holding her still. But now with tears welling up in my eyes.

The whole scene melted my heart.

And made me actually cry for the first time over my child getting shots!

Needless to say, there was ALOT of post-shot lovin' on Ava from the 3 best siblings in the world and their Momma! Had I known how emotional this would be on all of us, I think I may have opted for Daryl to leave the jobsite and take her!!

You know, I need moments like that to remind me (1) how short life is (wasn't it just yesterday that I had Brayden in for his first well-baby checkup?!), (2) just how much we all need to surround others with love and support, and (3) to pray that my kids continue to love and support one another like this in the years ahead.

Here's to hoping you feel the love today, too--without the need for shots, of course.

2 comments:

LindaJo49 said...

She reminds me soooo much of Daryl. I wondered if this was a photo when he was small!! Guess I remember those days!! Beautiful children!!

Erica said...

Ok I am crying just thinking of the whole scene!! I can't handle it when Maddo gets shots let alone hold her down!!