Sunday, December 6, 2009

O (Gingerbread) Christmas Tree!

   Our AP bought a gingerbread kit for the kids nearly two years ago. She bought it with the hopes of doing an activity with the kids but, as is the usual, we got busy doing all kinds of other things fun and crazy! So she sent the kit home with us to do together some evening. Being the lazy busy mom that I am, we just got around to doing it this past week! The kids chose the decorating option on the box. Not a big deal, I thought. I've done birthday cakes and gingerbread houses more complex that this!  And to my utter delight, it really wasn't difficult! I think the kiddos could have rolled solo (tres??) on this one with me just overseeing the mess creativity. The only thing I had to do was play Icing Police to prevent sugar highs and save my sanity. 
And since I'm all about being honest here, I probably would have let the kit stay in the pantry for another year if Brayden wouldn't have got it out, opened it up, and prepared all the items inside PRIOR to asking me if we could build and decorate it. Its not like he has been asking to build it for the nearly two years that it has been in the pantry. We had a GREAT time doing this together! Now I wish that I hadn't postponed it for the last two years!!

*And sorry for the weird photo layout. I'm trying out the new Layout Program, so bear with me as I learn it and use it to my advantage your viewing pleasure!


Waiting for the fun to begin:



Decorating with gusto!



Placing all the "bulbs"


Our motley crew so proud of their tree!! This photo really captures their personalities...LOVE IT!!


A comparison of what the kiddos did and what they wanted it to look like. Not bad!! And, yes, ours is sans star thanks to the youngest decorator giving into the temptation and eating it  =)

2 comments:

Greg & Stephanie said...

Love all the pics! I know what you mean about the "pause button"...it's flying all too quickly. Mom and Kait did a gingerbread house kit last year, so I thought about getting another one. I asked mom if it was difficult, and her reply was, "I think we'll stick with cookies this year!" So...maybe I'll have to try the tree! Hope to see you guys in a couple of weeks if you are planning to come to Cincy!

Mandy said...

Yes, Stephanie, we will be in Cincy!! We're really looking forward to seeing everyone!